Here are some of the great things we’ve done in the library over 2015, all of which has only been possible through the amazing contributions made by our volunteers:
- Our community powered Library is 2 years old!
- Our people counter clocked up a staggering 24,000 clicks – which equates to around 12,000 visits!
- 38 volunteers helped to support the Library in 2015, helping Library users borrow and return books, get online and enjoy a wider range of activities, as well as putting on events and helping to raise funds.
- Volunteers contributed over 3,200 hours of their time – worth around £48,000.
- We consulted over 120 local people at our community event in February and they told us what they’d like to see happening in their local library.
- We started a Local History Group and Get Crafty sessions which now run weekly in term times.
- We ran 35 computer support sessions for local people wanting to get started online with help from Southway Digital Champions.
- We held a Treasures Road Show in May displaying rare and ancient books and 50 adults and children attended.
- We held 5 Rainbow Special sessions in the school holidays attended by over 70 local parents and children.
- We held 10 Thursday coffee mornings with 8 people joining in each month.
- 3 local primary schools regularly visit. 60 children attended with their teachers in November alone.
- Our Mad Hatter’s Tea party in July brought lots of new families into the Library to sign up as members.
- We exceeded the Summer Reading Challenge targets, signing up 56 children between four and eleven, and 49 children completed the challenge – making us 3rd out of 22 Manchester libraries – a great result!
- Our monthly Book Group kicked off in August with “To Kill a Mockingbird” and has covered 4 books so far.
- The People’s Health Trust are funding a new 2 year “Burnage Memory Bank” Project starting in January.
- We won a Level 3 Manchester in Bloom award for our lovely garden – and the scarecrow arrived!
- We raised over £4,000 through events, book sales, donations and room hire, which will help us to provide more activities and events for local people in 2016.
Thank you and see you in 2016!